Romano Mombelli to swim the Bonifacio Channel
Swiss university student and marathon swimmer Romano Mombelli will be swimming the Bonifacio Channel next week with Water World Swim, covering the 15K distance from France to Italy.
Romano is on a quest to complete the Ocean's Seven (not unlike climbing's Seven Summits) which include the English Channel, Cook Strait, the Catalina channel, Tsugaru Strait, Molokai Channel, and the North Channel. He has completed the Gibraltar Channel so far.
- crossed the Strait of Gibraltar on 5 April 2014 in 3 hours 57 minutes
- set a record crossing Lake of Brienz in Switzerland on 5 September 2015, 16 km in 3 hours 18 minutes as the first person to swim the lake against the current
- 3rd place at the Swiss Championships Open Water 2015 - 10 km in 2 hours 17 minutes
- participated in the 40th Faros Marathon in Croatia - 16 km
- attempted a crossing of the Molokai Channel on 12 October 2015
Romano is coached by Andrea Gisiger at the Schwimmclub Solothurn in Switzerland and documents his swims on his website: http://www.romano-mombelli.com/