If you can swim a mile in the pool you are ready to transition to open water! Our Swim With Pedro sessions are 1-hour swims and a great place to practice in the open water with coaches on hand, whether you're training for an event or getting into open water for the first time.
You’ll find both those new to open water swimming and those who have completed Alcatraz hundreds of times, but we divide the group into skill and confidence level so everyone gets the most out of their swim. We have several routes that start within the cove for beginner swimmers. You can confer with coaches about your goals and ask for tips. If you’d like to join one of our sessions, here are the steps:
- Fill a waiver. You only need to fill it once a year. If you don’t fill one online, you’ll be asked to fill one on site before you swim.
- Sign up for a session. Browse the calendar for a date. Click on the Swim With Pedro session in blue or purple (color designates location – it will also say Swim With Pedro at Aquatic Park or at Crissy Field), and it will take you to a registration page. There you can register and pay by card online. Submit the form and you should get a confirmation email.
- Check the map for where we meet. Some will be at Crissy Field; most are at Aquatic Park.
Absolutely everyone is welcome to join!
- WE ARE a non-competitive non-threatening group. Some participants are preparing for event, but some are not. All are invited!
- BRING Mack’s earplugs, a thermal swim cap (we provide a latex one), goggles, towels, something hot to drink, and a good attitude!
- SWIM SAFETY is piloted by experienced kayakers. We break into groups according to capability and interest.
- WE WARM UP with stretching for swimmers for 10 minutes and then a brief run on the beach.
- THURSDAY SWIMS meet at 6:00PM (Thursday evenings, March through September). We jump in the water at 6:30PM.
- SUNDAY SWIMS meet at Aquatic Park bleachers at 10:00AM (Sunday mornings year round). We jump in the water at 10:30AM.